Tax and financial advice from the Silicon Valley expert.

IRS explains some CARES Act retirement plan provisions

The IRS has posted Frequently Asked Questions relating to CARES Act Retirement Plan Provisions.

According to Q & A 7, a taxpayer who elects to repay a COVID-19 related distribution would pay the tax on the three-year schedule and then amend the tax returns and request refunds when the distribution is repaid.

According to Q & A 9, employers may optionally amend their retirement plans to permit loans and distributions permitted under the CARES Act, so some employers might not allow the increased loans and distributions.

Here is a URL for the FAQs.

Some SSI and VA recipients must register by May 5 to receive bigger Economic Impact Payment

The IRS says Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) beneficiaries must act by Tuesday, May 5 if they didn’t file a federal income tax return for 2018 or 2019 and they have qualifying dependents to increase their Economic Impact Payment.

$500 is added to the payment for a child that would qualify for the child tax credit.

Just go to and click “Non-Filers: Enter Payment Information Here.”


Expenses paid with forgiven PPP loans aren’t tax deductible

The IRS has issued guidance relating to the tax deductibility of expenses paid with a Paycheck Protection Loan that is forgiven.  (Notice 2020-32.

According to the CARES Act, the forgiveness of indebtedness is not taxable income.  (CARES Act Section 1106(i).)

The CARES Act doesn’t specify whether the expenses are tax deductible.

A Paycheck Protection Loan is eligible for forgiveness when the proceeds are used for the following expenses during the 8-week “covered period” beginning on the the loan’s origination date (CARES Act Section 1106(b)):

  1. Payroll costs
  2. A payment of interest on a covered mortgage obligation
  3. A payment on a covered rent obligation
  4. A covered utility payment

The IRS reminds taxpayers that, according to Internal Revenue Code Section 265(a)(1), no deduction is allowed for any item that is allocable to tax-exempt income.

To receive tax-exempt income from the federal government and to be allowed a tax deduction paid using the income would be a double benefit.

Taxpayers and their tax return preparers should note that these items won’t be tax-deductible on their 2020 income tax returns.


Joint Committee on Taxation explains Tax Provisions in CARES Act

The Joint Committee on Taxation has issued a description of the tax provisions in the CARES Act.

Here is a URL to download the report.

Paycheck Protection Loan funding passes in Congress

On Thursday, April 23, 2020, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the Paycheck Protection Program an Health Care Enhancement Act.

Now that both houses of Congress have passed the legislation, President Trump says he will sign it.

The legislation adds $310 billion to funding for Paycheck Protection Loans, $50 billion for Economic Injury Disaster Loans and $10 billion for Emergency Economic Disaster Grants.

Banks are saying it’s likely these funds will be used for loan applications that are already in the pipeline.

Congress will likely soon revisit whether additional funding should be provided.

Due date to complete some IRA rollovers is extended

Notice 2020-23 includes an extension to July 15, 2020 of a host of administrative acts.

“The Secretary of the Treasury has also determined that any person performing a time-sensitive action listed in either § 301.7508A-1(c)(1)(iv)-(vi) of the Procedure and Administrative Regulations or Revenue Procedure 2018-58, 2018-50 IRB 990 (December 10, 2018) which is due to be performed on or after April 1, 2020 and before July 15, 2020 (Specified Time-Sensitive Action), is an Affected Taxpayer.”

Two of the specified acts include:

(1) An eligible rollover distribution that may be rolled over to an eligible retirement plan, including an IRA no later than the 60th day following the day the distribute received the distributed property (Rev. Proc. 2018-58, Section 8, item 23), and

(2) An individual with excess deferrals for a taxable year must notify a plan not later than March 1 following the taxable year that excess deferrals have been contributed to the plan for the taxable year.  A distribution of excess deferrals identified by the individual, plus income attributable to the excess through the end of the taxable year, must be made no later than the first taxable year of the excess (Rev. Proc. 2018-58, Section 8, item 25.)

Therefore, rollovers of IRA distributions made after January 31, 2020 to May 16, 2020 may be completed by July 15, 2020.  (Watch for more IRS announcements relating to retirement plan distributions.)  (Remember distributions from inherited IRAs that have a nonspouse beneficiary aren’t eligible for rollovers.)

Excess deferrals for 2019 contributed to a qualified retirement plan or IRA should be distributed by the plan by July 15, 2020.

Here is a URL for Notice 2020-23.

Here is a URL for Revenue Procedure 2018-58.

Here is a URL for Regulations § 301.7508-1.

Senate passes a proposal to extend funding for PPP loans and EIDL loans

On April 21, 2020, the U.S. Senate passed the Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act.  The legislation would increase the authorization level for the Paycheck Protection Program from $349 billion to $659 billion, and increase the appropriation level for the PPP from $349 billion to $670.355 billion.

$30 billion of the increase is earmarked for distribution by community-based lenders.

It also increased the authorization level for Emergency Economic Injury Disaster Grants from $10 billion to $20 billion (maximum $10,000 grant for a business) and adds $50 billion for Economic Injury Disaster Loans.

Certain agricultural enterprises with not more than 500 employees are made eligible for PPP loans.

The House of Representatives is scheduled to pass the legislation on Thursday, April 23, and President Trump says he will sign it.

These funds are expected to be committed as fast as the initial amounts.

Congress will likely be revisiting funding for these loans again.

Here is a URL to the Bill that passed in the Senate.

Funds For SBA Coronavirus Loans Are Exhausted

Here is an update just in case you are unaware of the status of SBA PPP loans and EIDL loans.

On April 16, 2020, the Small Business Administration announced that the entire amount designated by Congress for Paycheck Protection Program loans, $349 billion, has been exhausted.  Republicans are seeking another $250 billion.

The Small Business Administration also announced that all of the funds allocated by Congress for Economic Injury Disaster Loans have been exhausted.  Congress is also negotiating providing more funds for that program.

Companies who received a loan number from their banks for their loans should eventually get funding.  Check with your bank.

More than 25% of the funding went to under 2% of the firms that got relief.  These companies include at least 60 publicly traded companies with thousands of employees and hundreds of millions of dollars in annual sales.

Shake Shack, Inc., Ruth Hospitality Group Inc. (Ruth’s Chris Steak House), Potbelly Corp. and Fiesta Restaurant Group’s Texas Taco Cabana all borrowed $10 million.  (Shake Shack, Inc. has announced it will return its $10 million PPC loan.)

The three biggest state economies – California, Texas and New York – accounted for 23% of the loans.  Businesses in small, rural states received a bigger share.

The business sector receiving the most money was construction, with 13% of the total.

The SBA issued new guidelines last Friday (after the limit was already reached) requiring self-employed persons, partnerships and limited liability companies to file their income tax returns before applying for PPP loans.  The reason filing the income tax returns is required is to document self-employment income treated as wages.  The requirement will penalize companies that haven’t filed their income tax returns yet because of the extended July 15, 2020 due date for 2019 federal income tax returns.


How to get your rebate when you didn’t file an income tax return or you receive Social Security and have a dependent

The IRS has set up a web page for non-filers to request advance rebate payments.  (IR-2020-69)

Individuals who receive social security payments or Railroad Retirement benefits should receive their payments without having to apply for them, but the payments will be limited to the $1,200 for the recipient.  Individuals who didn’t file income tax returns for 2018 or 2019 can apply for payments for spouses who aren’t receiving the benefits and for dependent children under age 17 who would qualify for the child credit using the IRS web page.

These individuals should apply for the advance rebate at the IRS web page:

  • Individuals who didn’t file a 2018 or 2019 income tax return because their income was below the filing threshold;
  • Veterans beneficiaries and SSI recipients; and
  • Social security, social security disability income, and Railroad Retirement beneficiaries with qualifying dependents.

Here is the URL for the web page.

Tax and financial advice from the Silicon Valley expert.